Thursday, April 14, 2011

Am I still A Californian or a Texan? Part One

I'm preparing to fly home next week to photograph my longest standing client (from day one) and notice I said "fly home". But then I started thinking about it and it sort of feels more like coming home for a visit. Can it be? Am I starting to become a Texan after almost 7 years? I never thought that would happen. I was born and reared in Cali. It's all I know. Though I did buy my first pair of cowboy last year and love them. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have done that still living in California.

I do know that some things will never change. I will always be a die-hard 49er Fan and a SF Giants Fan. I do remember when I told my mom that we were moving to Texas and the second thing she said to me was, "You are not going to become a Cowboy's fan, are you?" lol

The biggest difference for me is food.  I'm a vegetarian for one thing and I like to eat very healthy.  When we first moved here I kept thinking I'll never fit in.  Being a vegetarian in Cali is easy. Not soooo muuuuch here in Texas. There is a long standing joke with all my friends that when it's my time to order at a restaurant they all start laughing and say, "Here we go again" because 90% of the time I have to order off the menu.

After being here for a couple of years my hubby and I took a trip to the Grand Canyon and when we sat down to order I started crying with happiness. There were at least 5 things on the menu I could order and eat without having to modify. :)  I was ecstatic. Boy, do I wish Texas would join in on that. Come on now, I can't be the only vegetarian here in Texas?

Over time I have come to accept that's just the way it is going to be when I go out to dinner. So now I don't feel as much of an outcast as I use too. And, I have even come to like some of the Texas food. Come on now, who doesn't like Texas Toast?

Well, will see what happens when I fly home next week. Will it feel like I'm home or just visiting?

ps - hope my mom doesn't read this. She always says to me, "When are you going to stop this nonsense and move home?"

No comments: