Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Am I still a Californian or a Texan? Part Three

I thought today was a perfect day to finish my Cali vs. Texas blog.  Seven years ago today we made the big move to Texas, said good bye to Cali forever. Ha, you know what they say about forever? Or is it never? lol One day we just might move back but for now we are staying put and enjoying Texas. Well, most of the time. It is bloody hot and flat here. Oh come on, it's not like you don't know how hot and flat it is here?

 In my previous blogs I've ranted, yes, I do believe I did rant a little  about all the wonderful things regarding Cali. Mostly the food, my beloved sports teams, and missing my friends and family. And, I didn't even mention the gorgeous weather, the winery's, beautiful scenery with the mountains and the ocean, and all the fun things to explore. Oops, I think this blog is suppose to be talking up all the wonderful things about Texas and I'm still singing Cali's praise. Sorry, old habit, I have lived there a lot longer. Which brings up this story:  One of my chiropractor's assistants said to my BF, Liddie,  last week that, "Karyn's all California". Not sure what that means exactly, but funny that he mentioned it after 7 years. I thought I was slowly converting...

Ok, back on track now... What I love about Texas is the people.  I've always heard about the Southern Hospitality but have never experienced it until I moved here. I know technically Texas is considered a Gulf State, but it feels more Southern to me. I love how social Texas is, I love how perfect strangers can become best friends standing in line at the grocery store, and I love that y'all want to have a "get together" every weekend. ( Did you notice how I threw in that little "y'all"?)

Texas has changed me for the better. The culture has allowed me to become more friendly, less shy, and dare I say more fun.  I remember house hunting with our realtor and as we were driving around the neighborhoods people were waving at us. I thought wow our realtor is well known in the community. I finally asked her how she knew all these people. She laughed and told me she didn't know them,  that it's just what you do in Texas to your neighbors. Wow, we aren't that friendly in Cali and it's what makes Texas so special. It makes up for the heat which you do become acclimated to.  100 degrees just doesn't feel as hot as it did our first two summers here. So yes, I do believe I might be turning into a Texan. Is that the gauge of how Texan you are? If you don't melt in the heat and you own a pair of cowboy boots? I did buy my first pair last year! lol

Texas certainly takes pride in their state, which I admire. The Texas Star is proudly displayed everywhere, and I do mean everywhere...  I haven't made the jump to actually buy one, but you never know, ask me in another five years and I might have one displayed somewhere in my home. lol

I also love the shopping. Cali has nothing on Texas compared to great shopping. I do admit it is one of my favorite past times. Y'all have more malls than I have ever seen. (Ha ha, did you notice the "y'all" again?)

Texas, thank you for welcoming us to your state. We appreciate it and thank you.

No comments: