Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Can you feel the excitement in the air?

Yes, I'm talking about the World Series! How lucky am I that my favorite life long team, the Giants, and where I now live the Rangers are in the Series? Of course, I'm a die hard Giants fan and I'm cheering for them all the way, but if, and that's a big if, we lose I'll be glad it is to the Rangers.

For those that know me well, know that I am a huge football - SF Niners and Baseball fan. I blame it all on my mother! lol I've never seen anyone get so excited about watching sports as her. And I'm sure it's no coincidence that she only watched football and baseball, so hence those are my favorite sports too.

My biggest memory of my mom and sports is her love affair with Willie Mays. Which many consider to be the greatest baseball player ever! The Catch in the 1954 World series is still famous till this day. He ended his career with 660 HR's and played for the Giants from 1958-1972. (And no, I don't remember or was even alive for the Catch!)

Willie Mays was called "The Say Hey Kid" because he did not know the names of the others players on the baseball team when he made it to the majors. The story goes that he would say, "Say hey, man" to the other players as a greeting.

Well, my favorite was Barry Bonds. Before I left California my only wish was to go to a game and see him hit a home run. Well, about two weeks before we were scheduled to move I took my mom and brother to the game and his first appearance at bat and his first swing was a HOMERUN! I got chills, it was a sign that I could leave California and move to Texas. Oh, how I wish I was back home right now at a game!

I love Brian Wilson, fear the beard, Posey, Uribe, Sandoval who has never met a pitch he didn't like, and of course Lincecum too!

GO GIANTS!!!

No comments: